7.16.2008

Learning WEBERP

I am not that much exposed to accounting softwares and programs available in the market today. In my two years of experience, I have only encountered Pacioli, Quick Books, MYOB, and Business Box. Pacioli is an old accounting system and I doubt if they have released new versions. Quick Books is easier to use than Pacioli, it is new and relatively cheaper compared to other accounting softwares. I have tried Business Box and it's helpful but in evaluating the system, I can say that it still has a lot of room for improvement. As for MYOB, I have not personally used the system but I guess it delivers results since a client has been using it for quite some time already.

Small enterprises usually have manual accounting systems. Unfortunately, manual accounting system is costly in the long run, considering that you have to employ more people in maintaining the manual records than the computerized system would require. Moreover, manual accounting system cannot immediately give reports while a computerized one can generate reports in a click of a button.

Since I have learned about FOSS, or free and open source systems, I have learned that there are open source computer softwares that you can download from the internet. Yes, it is free to download. But, you have to discover the system yourself because although sometimes it provides a manual or demonstration on how to use the system, customizing it for your own business might take some time. But since it is free, then I guess it's worth to learn and discover it.

Two of these open source accounting softwares that I have tried are GnuCash and WebErp. I have not come to a full review of these two accoutning softwares but I am getting there. I recommend these two systems to business enterprises who are still starting or to those who do not have the capacity to spend a one-time big cash outlay for an accounting software. GnuCash is preferably for sole proprietorship and smaller businesses while WebErp is best for large-scale manufacturing and merchandising companies.

Let us promote open source softwares!

No comments: